"patch" command hangs when trying to patch kernel sources

Charles Trois yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 27 02:43:01 2003

le 26/09/03 17:52, yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com =E0
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com a =E9crit=A0:

> Message: 8
> Subject: "patch" command hangs when trying to patch kernel sources
> To: "yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com"
> <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> From: Robert Persson <ireneandrobert@telus.net>
> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:08:42 -0700
>=20
> Hi
>=20
> I downloaded the 2.4.22 kernel sources and the ppc patch and have been
> trying to apply the patch to the sources.  I place the 2.4.22 source
> directory and the patch file in the same directory and type "patch -p0
> linuxppc-2.4.22.patch", but nothing happens.  The cursor moves down a
> line, the machine stays quiet (no disk activity), but the prompt does not
> return, even after more than one hour.  Other processes seem unaffected
> and I can carry run other programs while I am waiting.
>=20
> Any ideas?

I had the same problem; after poking around a bit, I found that the source
by itself was enough to produce a complete operational kernel.

So it would seem (but that of course is my own speculation) that, to get a
2.4.22 kernel, you have to ***either*** build it from the new source files
***or*** apply the patch to what you have already (maybe 2.4.20 or 2.4.21).

Is there an official view on this?

Charles