special caracters on german keyboard

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 29 12:13:01 2003

Hi Lukas,

Am Samstag, 27.09.03, um 20:01 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb =20
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com:

?=3D@terraplex.com
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: special caracters on german keyboard
>
> hi,
>
> i have successfully installed YD on my G4 powerbook. just one small =20=

> problem left: how can i set my [alt]-XY buttoms to tap for example an =20=

> '@' (on OSX [alt]-l) and all the other special caracters. i have a =20
> german keyboard?

I have YDL on serveral machines her at school, all with german =20
keyboards. In Linux there is a difference between the left and the =20
right "Alt" key! The left key is simply "Alt" but the right one is =20
"AltGr", which will give you the desired characters. The keyboard =20
layout is PC-style, so the most important characters are:

@ =3D "Right Alt" "Q"
| =3D "Right Alt" "<"  that is the "<" left of "y"
\ =3D "Right Alt" "=DF"  that is the "szlig" right of the "0"
[ =3D "Right Alt" "8"
] =3D "Right Alt" "9"
{ =3D "Right Alt" "7"
} =3D "Right Alt" "0"

In order to get the "Right Alt" key on my iBook (model 2002) running =20
YDL 3.0, I have to depress the "fn" key prior to depressing the "Alt" =20=

key. After that, every "extra" characters can be typed this way. To get =20=

"@" this means: "fn"-"Alt"-"Q", to get "|" this means: "fn"-"Alt"-"<". =20=

In order to switch consoles, I have to type (depressed in this =20
sequence!) "Alt"-"Ctrl"-"fn"-"F1" to get to the first console. =20
"Alt"-"fn"-"F7" will get me back to X.

As your email address suggest, you are located in Switzerland - I do =20
not know, if your keyboard layout is the same as ours, you might have =20=

to try different keys, in order to find the desired characters. To =20
accomplish this, just open a Text Editor and try the whole keyboard =20
with "fn"-"Alt" keys depressed. Maybe a Swiss PC keyboard will give you =20=

some hints - I used a German PC keyboard to find the most used "alted" =20=

characters.

I case you want to remap the "AltGr" key to the "Apple" key, aka. =20
"Command" key, follow the simple howto written by Christoph Ertelt =20
update by Thomas Ley at:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/=20
keyboard_german.shtml

To get the complete Apple keyboard layout will take a lot of remapping, =20=

for the console as well as for X - so I simply memorized the PC-style =20=

key mappings. If anyone has alredy done this, please contribute the =20
results to the YDL site, or post on this list, thanks ;)

Hope this will get you up and running Linux!
Alex

p.s.: I just attached an Apple extended USB keyboard with optical mouse =20=

to the iBook - it was recognized without reboot! Great work YDL :)!

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040