iBook does not sleep after recent yum update...

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 30 08:28:01 2003

Scott:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 08:53  AM, Scott Strungis wrote:
> Suddenly my iBook 800 has stopped sleeping when I close the lid. This
> started right after a yum update I did yesterday. This is a problem
> for me because I am always on the move at work and cannot really wait
> for a reboot everytime I change locations.

This happened to me last week, Here's how I solved the problem:

There are two services that are responsible for PowerBook power
management issues, "pbbuttonsd" and "pmud." Here's how to determine
whether pmud is running:

[clint]$ su -
Password:
[root]# service pmud status
pmud is stopped

Aha -- pmud was not working for me. Note the hyphen ("-") after the su
command to enter root privileges. This is essential, though I have no
idea how it changes "su." Without the "-," the bash shell complains
that the "service" command is not found.

The service command can come to the rescue if pmud is not running.
Here's how:

[root]# service pmud start
Starting pmud daemon:      [OK]
[root]# service pmud status
pmud (pid 1084) is running. . .

Use the same service command to check on the status of pbbuttonsd:

[root]# service pbbuttonsd status
pbbuttonsd (pid 567) is running. . .

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>