iBook does not sleep after recent yum update...

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 30 13:33:01 2003

A trick to keep recalcitrant daemons running....behold, the power of
inittab! do a 'man inittab'. You want to add an entry for the daemon you
want to be respawned as a line entry. Then, init will not only start it
on boot, but will respawn the daemon if it ever goes down. Within a few
seconds, even!

I use it for all my "mission critical" daemons. Once you get it working,
it works. Be careful, though. I had a problem with a bad library causing
a process to be spawned so quickly it brought the box to its knees.Took
me about 1/2 hour to figure it out. Note which daemons you put in there
is the lesson to be learned.

Ben Ricker