yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1094 - 5 msgs

Ed McKnight yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 30 16:06:01 2003

Scott,

I don't have my YellowDog in front of me so I might be a character or
two off, but...

as root:

# /etc/init.d/pmud

Should yield you a usage message. Even if there is a recognized restart
option sometimes it's worth explicitly stopping and then starting a service:

# /etc/init.d/pmud stop
# /etc/init.d/pmud start

If your old pmud and new one need different args or somesuch then this
init file is the one to edit.

N.B. Entries in rc directories are *supposed* to be links back to init.d
entries but sometimes you'll find real files out there, in which case
changes made to init.d/pmud wouldn't be seen at boot time. You can
either edit the file in the rc directory (probably rc2.d or rc3.d) or
change that enty to be a link back to init.d (which is the correct fix :)

Ah, if you're unfamiliar with the rc directory biz: each R<n> stands for
a Run state where states are numbered 0 through 6. The useful ones here
are probably 2 and/or 3. 0 is power-off; 1 is single-user mode; 6 is
reboot; 5 is auto-graphics mode. 3 is standard multi-user, 2 is
somewhere between single-user and multi-user states. In each directory
you'll see entries of the form "Snn<name>" and "Knn<name>" where S means
run this script on Starting the state and K means run this script to
Kill the service when exiting the state. The nn lets you specify the
sequence in which start-up and shutdown scripts run. The entry *should
be* a sym-link back to /etc/init.d/<name>.

HTH,  --emk