Airport question

Tom Burke yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 6 02:58:01 2004

Nope - still nothing.

I went back to my original ifcfg-eth1 file, which has practically
nothing set, and that just produced the Set Encode error. By inspection
I determined that this referred to the 'Key' parameter and I tried
various settings for this: first blank, then "". Then I set a WEP
password on my base station (Belkin) - I had previously been using no
encryption but limiting access to known MAC addresses. I've determined
(from another Mac, running MacOS 10.3.3) that the change in base
station configuration worked - after entering the password in the
Airport config box, the Mac was able to connect to the the
now-encrypted Belkin base station.

Then I went back to the iBook and tried a few more alternatives: first
the key, in straight hex digits, and that produced the same error as
before: 'SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported'. Then I
tried prefixing the hex digits with ' 0x ' (as in the instructions for
MacOSX); that failed, and then I tried prefixing the hex digits with '
$ '; that also failed. Finally I tried using the text version of the
password, both with and without double quotes - no success. And I've
tried all these with 40-bit and 128-bit encryption at the base station.
No success. In some cases the error changed to 'invalid argument', but
that was the only difference.

So I still can't get Airport to work. Yet others seems to be suggesting
that, for them, it just *worked* - first time, no messing. Is there
possibly a level of compatibility that isn't really documented?
Possible changes by Apple to the chip set in the airport cards? My
airport card is brand new, bought last week for this machine.

Tom Burke