Trying to Install YDL on G3 Beige

Lola Lee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 7 18:42:01 2004

I'm trying to install Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 on my G3 desktop
machine.  The problem is when I select the local CDROM as the
installation method, I get "The Yellow Dog Linux CD was not found in
any of your cdrom drives. Please insert the YDL cd and click OK to
retry".

Backing up a bit, I had an 160GB hard drive installed, made it the
master drive.  The original drive is now the slave drive, as is the
CD ROM drive.  The newer drive is partitioned into 2 parts, the
larger part being reserved for YDL.  I have OS 9 installed.  It is
hooked up to the wireless router (this is probably important as a way
to solve this problem).

Following the "A Companion to Installing YDL 3.0", right now I'm on
page 4, step 12 for the old world rom systems.  While mousing through
the screen options, I noticed that in addition to the local cdrom,
there's three options - ftp, nfs image, and http.  If I were to put
select one of these options, say, ftp, what would go into the line
for ftp site name and yellow dog directory?

I would prefer to install off the cd rom, if possible, because I
found that it took a long time just to create these cds.  So, what
could be the reasons for the installer not recognizing the cd rom (I
watched the lines of text that scrolled up when I went into Linux via
BootX and it definitely did read in information about the cd drive)?
And how to fix this?  Thanks for your help!

Lola