OT: Acres of bacteria

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 8 17:11:01 2004

--- "Longman, Bill" <longman@sharplabs.com> wrote:
> > > Clint thus spoke:
> > > name). A
> > > memory "card" of such a size, if made entirely of hydrogen
> > > atoms, would
> > > weigh about 567 million metric tons (again, if I have done
> > > the math right).
> >
> > How much would it weigh if it were made of holes?
> >
> > One thing that's a limit to memory is the address bus width.
> > That's the
> > bottleneck between the CPU and the memory. With a 32 bit
> > address bus width,
> > the addressable memory limit is 4GB. Most newer CPUs have a
> > 36 bit address
> > bus giving them direct access to 64GB of RAM (G4s and most
> > i686s). The G5
> > has a 42 bit address bus. We leave the calculation to Clint,
> > who'll probably
> > compare the sheer size of this number to acres of bacteria....
>
> Enter units, my *favorite* utility:
>
> Assuming 1 bacteria = ~1 micron^2 then,
>
> /home/longman
> 2k01> units
> 1989 units, 71 prefixes, 32 nonlinear units
>
> You have: 2^42 micron^2
> You want: acre
>         * 0.0010867766
>         / 920.1523
> You have: 2^42 micron^2
> You want: yard^2
>         * 5.2600199
>         / 0.19011335
> You have: 2^64 micron^2
> You want: mile^2
>         * 7.1223277
>         / 0.14040354
>
> So just imagine....if memory technology were based on (small) E.
> coli, and
> you had them all laid out on the floor, one next to the other,
> you'd need a
> roomful of them for your G5's addressable memory. But you'd need
> several
> square miles of them for its total memory space....
>
> Clint, here's what I just got, assuming H is 1 amu:
> You have: 2^128 amu
> You want: tons
>         * 6.2286327e+08
>         / 1.6054888e-09

Regardless, all that bacteria would smell.  On the flip side, if you
bought a "roomfull" of bacteria, assuming optimal growing conditions,
in no time you'd have two rooms of bacteria, then a little later
you'd have three rooms.  They would keep growing until they ran out
of food :(  The ultimate upgrade