Trying to Install YDL on G3 Beige

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 8 18:21:01 2004

> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:02:45 -0500
> From: Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net>

> That's right. You can boot an older Mac off a *Macintosh* installation
> CD by holding the "C" key, but not off any other system CD (like Yellow
> Dog Linux). "New World" Macs (iMacs and later) do not have this limitation.

Actually, some other systems can be booted from the installation CD on
Old World machines.  For example LinuxPPC (from which I switched to
YDL) could--I think it managed this by including a stripped-down MacOS
system on the installation CD--and it confused me that YDL couldn't.

> Yes, the first partition (the top one in Apple's Disk Utility), which
> will contain the Mac OS 9 operating system, must be 8 GB (or less).

I think this limitation is for MacOS X only, not MacOS 9.  And it
needn't be the first partition as long as it is within the first 8GB.
Cf. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106235 (which also
indicates that the limitation does not apply to SCSI disks).

Ray