OT: Acres of bacteria

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 9 07:44:01 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:34:47PM -0700, Longman, Bill wrote:
> > has a 42 bit address bus. We leave the calculation to Clint,
> > who'll probably
> > compare the sheer size of this number to acres of bacteria....
>
> Enter units, my *favorite* utility:
>
> Assuming 1 bacteria = ~1 micron^2 then,
>
> /home/longman
> 2k01> units
> 1989 units, 71 prefixes, 32 nonlinear units

Bill,

Thanks for pointing out 'units'.  I've been looking for a utility
like it since I started with linux.  I'm suprised something this
useful isn't part of the core install.

To anyone who wants to give it a try, it can be downloaded from:
	ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/units/

It compiled very easily with:
	./configure
	make
	make install

I would also like to point out that the man page for 'units' is
very well written, too.

--
Ken Schweigert, Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC