Open Firmware Problem

David C. Hacker, DVM yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 14 20:36:01 2004

--Apple-Mail-1-610163676

It isn't that hard to get it to work on the old iMac you just have to
wipe the hard drive and start over so backing up is important.  I would
suggest something like this
/dev/hda1-5 apple drivers
/dev/hda6 bootstrap
/dev/hda7 Mac OS X 4 gb
/dev/hda8 Mac OS 9 2 gb
/dev/hda9 Linux root 1.9 gb
/dev/hda10 Linux /usr however much you want
/dev/hda11 LInux /home however much you want
/dev/hda12 Mac OS applications can put OS 9 and OS X files and apps here
/dev/hda13 HFS Drive linux share
/dev/hda14 Linux Swap

This is how I done my drive and it seems to work out fine.  The key is
that any bootable partions have to be with in the first 8 GB if the
partition exceeds it by even 1kb then the openfirmware of the iMac
won't recognize it in yaboot.
Hope this helps you some.  It took me a lot of hours to figure this out.

David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563
(701) 843-8179

On Apr 14, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Felix Jodoin wrote:

> [...]
>>> /dev/hda11: Linux Swap 512mb
> Perhaps I should buy a new comp, this is really bugging me... ;)
> Thanks again for the help though.
>
>> Resetting the pram only works if your bootstrap partition is before
>> all of your other partitions, sorry I didn't mention that.  Try
>> booting into openfirmware by holding down command-option-o-f and then
>> typing setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi  That should tell the system
>> to look for your bootstrap on hda8 and boot yaboot.  Is your hard
>> dive over 8 GB?  If it is then your problem may be that your root
>> partition has to be completely within the first 8 GB of the disk.
>> This is a limitation of the old iMac's.  Also the other post about
>> holding down the option key does not work on the old iMacs.  I have a
>> 120 GB disk in my iMac and I had to go with a 2GB root partition for
>> linux and 6 GB for OS X then partition out the rest.  Hope this helps
>> some.
>> David
>> On Apr 13, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Felix Jodoin wrote:
>>
>>> Still no go, even after doing all of that. The last thing I did was
>>> zap the pram, and then my computer booted right into mac os x. My
>>> partition layout is as follows:
>>> /dev/hda1-5: Apple Stuff?
>>> /dev/hda6: Mac OS X
>>> /dev/hda7: Mac OS 9
>>> /dev/hda8: bootstrap
>>> /dev/hda9: Linux Root
>>> /dev/hda10: HFS Drive (LinuxShare, so I can get files between mac
>>> and linux)
>>> /dev/hda11: Linux Swap

>>> --
>>> Felix Jodoin
>>> President
>>> FJ Studios, Inc.
>>> Email: felixj@shaw.ca
>>> Phone: (204) 296-4480
>>>
> --
> Felix Jodoin
> President
> FJ Studios, Inc.
> Email: felixj@shaw.ca
> Phone: (204) 296-4480

--Apple-Mail-1-610163676

It isn't that hard to get it to work on the old iMac you just have to
wipe the hard drive and start over so backing up is important.  I
would suggest something like this

/dev/hda1-5 apple drivers

/dev/hda6 bootstrap

/dev/hda7 Mac OS X 4 gb

/dev/hda8 Mac OS 9 2 gb

/dev/hda9 Linux root 1.9 gb

/dev/hda10 Linux /usr however much you want

/dev/hda11 LInux /home however much you want

/dev/hda12 Mac OS applications can put OS 9 and OS X files and apps
here

/dev/hda13 HFS Drive linux share

/dev/hda14 Linux Swap

This is how I done my drive and it seems to work out fine.  The key is
that any bootable partions have to be with in the first 8 GB if the
partition exceeds it by even 1kb then the openfirmware of the iMac
won't recognize it in yaboot.

Hope this helps you some.  It took me a lot of hours to figure this

<excerpt>Thanks, my hard drive is 60 gigs. here is a revised layout:

<excerpt><excerpt>/dev/hda1-5: Apple Stuff?

/dev/hda6: Mac OS X 7gigs

/dev/hda7: Mac OS 9  all the rest

/dev/hda8: bootstrap 1mb

/dev/hda9: Linux Root 9gigs

/dev/hda10: HFS Drive (LinuxShare, so I can get files between mac and
linux) 6gigs

/dev/hda11: Linux Swap 512mb

</excerpt></excerpt>Perhaps I should buy a new comp, this is really
bugging me... ;)

Thanks again for the help though.

<excerpt>Resetting the pram only works if your bootstrap partition is
before all of your other partitions, sorry I didn't mention that.  Try
booting into openfirmware by holding down command-option-o-f and then
typing setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi  That should tell the system to
look for your bootstrap on hda8 and boot yaboot.  Is your hard dive
over 8 GB?  If it is then your problem may be that your root partition
has to be completely within the first 8 GB of the disk.  This is a
limitation of the old iMac's.  Also the other post about holding down
the option key does not work on the old iMacs.  I have a 120 GB disk
in my iMac and I had to go with a 2GB root partition for linux and 6
GB for OS X then partition out the rest.  Hope this helps some.

David

<excerpt>Still no go, even after doing all of that. The last thing I
did was zap the pram, and then my computer booted right into mac os x.
My partition layout is as follows:

/dev/hda1-5: Apple Stuff?

/dev/hda6: Mac OS X

/dev/hda7: Mac OS 9

/dev/hda8: bootstrap

/dev/hda9: Linux Root

/dev/hda10: HFS Drive (LinuxShare, so I can get files between mac and
linux)

/dev/hda11: Linux Swap

<excerpt>Try zapping the pram by holding down command-option-p-r at
boot untill it chimes 2 or 3 times.  If that doesn't work try
reformatting the bootstrap partiton and then running ybin again.
Worked for me.  Also you might try unplugging any extra usb devices
until you get it worked out.  Especially printers.  Hope this helps.

David

A bit ago I (by accident) changed the startup disc, so YDL doesn't
boot; I just use the boot CD and go into rescue mode to use it. I
decided I would like the menu again, so I re-ran ybin and rebooted.
Open Firmware showed up, displaying a message like:

code=300 at %SRR0: 011ee498 %SRR1: 00003030

running a 333mhz iMac with Panther and YDL 3.0.

--

Felix Jodoin

President

FJ Studios, Inc.