headless dual boot

sloopy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 15 18:39:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 15:17, Clinton MacDonald wrote (with parts
clipped):

> Older Macs (680x0 and early PowerMacs) could not be booted at all
> without a monitor; I am not as certain about modern ("new World") Macs.
> These older machines could be booted headless only by attaching a dongle
> to the monitor port -- almost not worth the effort. Should that still be
> the case with newer Macs, your  question would be moot, and you would
> have to stick a monitor on the machine.

hmmm i dont agree with this... my Quadra 800 boots with no monitor
attached with no problem... as does my UMAX C500 mac clone... a mac IIci
will also boot with no monitor attached as well...

as to the problem at hand, why would you need to boot into either linux
or os x? if it is a headless machine then i would guess the machine is
being used as a server of some type, the services available in os x are
available in linux, and most of the services available in linux are
available in os x... so why not just run one or the other? or even run
linux on it with os x running under MOL?

sloopy.