boot failure

Thomas Sorensen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 23 07:57:01 2004

--------------050606000905090104060700

Norberto Quintanar wrote:

>At the bootx prompt type single this will boot you into single user
>mode.  If you get into runlevel 3, then type Xautoconfigurator.  This
>will give you a very basic X config try to reboot again, and see if
>this helped.  If it does boot, it will most likely be a very bad GUI,
>do not fear.  Once intto Gnome or KDE whichever you chose, go into
>the display settings and set your video card and monitor there.  This
>procedure has worked more times than not for me.
>
>Norberto
>--- Tom Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Well I pulled the G3 card as soon as I got home and things have
>>moved
>>along a little further, I now get through the boot process to the
>>point
>>where it says "localhost login" and then the screen goes dark and
>>then
>>back to login again about three times before a warning message
>>comes up
>>saying it can't start X server. If I view the report the last line
>>says
>>no devices detected and if I try to configure it fails and we end
>>up
>>back at the localhost login prompt again. When I finished the YD
>>install
>>I chose the generic VGA card and 1 MB of ram and my exact monitor
>>from
>>the list but this didn't seem to help.

>>card

>>booted

>>no

>>and

>>instructed

>>put in

>>script

>>follows

>>anything. I

>>and

>>over but

>>info

>>but my

>>site:terrasoftsolutions.com'
>>

>>>Thanks Norberto:
>>>    I don't have a USB card but I will pull the G3 card and see
>>>

>>if it
>>

>>>boots and go from there.

>>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
>>

>site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

I assume when you say at the BootX prompt you are refering to the box on
the lower left that says Kernel exceptions or something of that sort.
When I typed single in there the system reboots into user mode 3
initally but as I was reading the lines of script during start up about
halfway through I see another line that says rebooting/resetting to user
mode 5 and then eventually we are back to the same point again. Have you
had any experience with mklinux boot loader it seems to have more
options for exceptions and revisions using lilo? Thanks

--------------050606000905090104060700

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Norberto Quintanar wrote:<br>
 cite="mid20040422114418.35285.qmail@web13421.mail.yahoo.com">
  <pre wrap="">At the bootx prompt type single this will boot you into single user
mode.  If you get into runlevel 3, then type Xautoconfigurator.  This
will give you a very basic X config try to reboot again, and see if
this helped.  If it does boot, it will most likely be a very bad GUI,
do not fear.  Once intto Gnome or KDE whichever you chose, go into
the display settings and set your video card and monitor there.  This
procedure has worked more times than not for me.

Norberto
--- Tom Sorensen <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:tomsor@comcast.net">&lt;tomsor@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Well I pulled the G3 card as soon as I got home and things have
[...]

      <pre wrap="">Norberto Quintanar wrote:
      </pre>
        <pre wrap="">Something to try, just to see if it will boot, remove the USB
        </pre>
    <pre wrap="">card
    </pre>
        <pre wrap="">and the Sonnet G3 card.  There was a thread a while back that
diagnosed a problem with G3 cards and YDL.  It was solved by
installing YDL without any peripheral cards, then once it
        </pre>
    <pre wrap="">booted
    </pre>
        <pre wrap="">etc...  Reinstall the cards and deal with them one at a time.
HTH
Norberto
--- Thomas Sorensen <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:tomsor@comcast.net">&lt;tomsor@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:

        </pre>
          <pre wrap="">Hardware:
Performa 6360
Sonnet G3 300mhz card
136 mb ram
15 gig hd (10 gig os 9.2.2, 5 gig free space)
I have installed 3.0.1 using the old world instructions with
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">no
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">problems,
got to the finishing stages and chose generic (default) vid
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">and
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">then my
exact monitor, restarted the system and at boot X as
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">instructed
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">unchecked th
e disc image, changed from the boot kernel to the other and
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">put in
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">hda 8 as
instructed for the root device. The problem is now when I try
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">to
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">boot into
linux I get about half way through the first page of boot
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">script
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">and
everything locks up, the last commands on the screen are as
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">follows
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">if
helpful:
WMU: mapin
WMU: mapin_ram done
WMU: setio
WMU: exit
setup-arch: enter
setup-arch: bootmem
arch: exit
and at this point it locks up solid with no cursor or
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">anything. I
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">have tried
to re-install once and got error messages about vgscan failed
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">and
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">ended up
having to delete the swap and main partions and start all
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">over but
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">with the
same results. I am no IT guy so I'm trying to provide as much
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">info
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">as I can,
if anything else would be helpful I will try to provide it
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">but my
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">Linux
experience is very nominal. Thanks

          </pre>
        <pre wrap="">

        </pre>
  </pre>
        <pre wrap="">HINT: to Google archives, try  '&lt;keywords&gt;
        </pre>
    <pre wrap="">site:terrasoftsolutions.com'
    </pre>
        <pre wrap="">
        </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Thanks Norberto:
    I don't have a USB card but I will pull the G3 card and see
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">if it
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">boots and go from there.

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
yellowdog-general mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com">yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com</a>

    </pre>
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">HINT: to Google archives, try  '&lt;keywords&gt;
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

HINT: to Google archives, try  '&lt;keywords&gt; site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

  </pre>
I assume when you say at the BootX prompt you are refering to the box on
the lower left that says Kernel exceptions or something of that sort. When
I typed single in there the system reboots into user mode 3 initally but
as I was reading the lines of script during start up about halfway through
I see another line that says rebooting/resetting to user mode 5 and then
eventually we are back to the same point again. Have you had any experience
with mklinux boot loader it seems to have more options for exceptions and
revisions using lilo? Thanks<br>

--------------050606000905090104060700--