boot failure

Thomas Sorensen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 24 07:38:01 2004

on 4/23/04 10:50 AM, Norberto Quintanar at nquintanar@yahoo.com wrote:

> Yes, you assume correctly on where to type in single.  I don't know
> what's going on with your situation, if it's forcing you to go to
> runlevel 5.  Have you tried typing rescue or emergency?  If you can
> get to a command prompt using one of those two methods then change
> your /etc/inittab file to run level 3.  When you open the file edit
> the line that reads
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>

> change the 5 to a 3 save close and reboot.  Then try the fix I gave
> you earlier to configure X.
>
> YMMV
> Norberto
> --- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
> === message truncated ===
> I assume when you say at the BootX prompt you are refering to the box
> on the lower left that says Kernel exceptions or something of that
> sort. When I typed single in there the system reboots into user mode
> 3 initally but as I was reading the lines of script during start up
> about halfway through I see another line that says
> rebooting/resetting to user mode 5 and then eventually we are back to
> the same point again. Have you had any experience with mklinux boot
> loader it seems to have more options for exceptions and revisions
> using lilo? Thanks

Thanks again for your help, this is really becoming a struggle. If I put
single in the box and then boot into linux when I get to the "Welcome to
Yellow Dog" part with the green "OK" boxes I get a script line that says
"sh-2.05b# and it stops there, the only way I have been able to get past
this is to type exit and then everything contines to load as normal, resets
to level 5 and I am eventually back to the localhost login screen. If I
login as root the only way I can get to the /etc/inittab you mentioned is to
proceed it with less and then about the tenth line down has the id you
mentioned but it won't let me edit this. Please excuse my ignorance of the
linux platform and command line prompts but we all have to start somewhere
and I didn't think this would be such an ordeal.