install always fails

FW Owen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 25 17:51:31 2004

Hi,

I've been trying to install 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 ever since they
were released.  I've never had the 3.0.x installer run to
completion.  The installer always crashes, both in text and
X.  Sometimes it crashes at partitioning, and sometimes mid
way through package instalation.

My system is a s900 with 1000 MB memory and 400 MHz G3.
There is no scsi chain.  I have an ide adapter (ata-66)
with two large ide hard drives and a ide cdrw.

The video card and a usb card are in the two upper pci slots
as they will not be recognized by linux in any of  the four
lower pci slots.  The ide card is in the 3rd slot and works
well.

I run Yellow Dog 2.3 and boot with bootx from a small
MacOS-8.6 partition.

YD-2.3 was and is no problem to install.  But the latest
versions of MOL won't compile on 2.3 and I need to move on.

MOL is the main application that I run on this box.  I
broadcast Mac-9.2.1 to our network with MOL running on a
tightVNC server.

I can easily install Debian stable but the packages are way
too old to suit me.

Is it possible to install 3.0.1 on a s900?  If so, what's
the trick?
--
Kindest regards,

F. W. Owen