YDL install troubles on a Mac 5400 PowerPC....any ideas?

concertracker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 26 12:42:02 2004

Howdy,

I've been posting to the newbies list with this issue, but I was hoping
in the wider audience here someone might have direct experience with
installing on a Power Mac 5400 and the problem I keep having.  Here's
the skinny:

Hardware:  90MB RAM, 1.6 GB HD, PowerPC 120MHz chip
Software:  Mac OS 7.5.3, YDL v3.0
Partitions: 1 unallocated ~800MB, 1 Macintosh HFS ~800MB
Situation:  After selecting Linux in BootX (with all files and settings
in place from the YDL Setup Guide) I get about two screens worth of
process and status information and then everything hangs after these
lines:
   Yellow Dog install init version 8.0 starting
   mounting /proc filesystem... done
   mounting /dev/pts (unix98 pty) filesystem... done
   could not set new controlling tty
   checking for NFS root filesystem... no
   trying to remount root filesystem read write ETX2-fs warning: chec
     kline reached, running e2fsck is recommended
   done
   checking for writeable /tmp.....yes
   running install....
   running /sbin/loader

Is there anything telling in those lines as to why it is hanging up (or
should I look higher up in the list)?  If not, any ideas as to what
else might be going wrong and how to diagnose/fix it?  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel