scanner woes

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 06:32:01 2004

At 00:52 -0700 on 2004-4-27 Steven Didier wrote:

 > I have an Epson 1650 photo scanner that YDL 3.0 will not recognize
 > although in the hardware browser under KDE it does show up but with no
 > drivers listed. Does anyone have an idea on how I can get this thing
 > working? Any help is much appreciated!

I have precisely the same scanner, works like a charm (and almost out
of the box).  The only configuration I had to change was the file
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf which after the change contained the following
(sole) uncommented line:

    usb /dev/usb/scanner0

(I am assuming you have the USB variety.)  The node /dev/usb/scanner0
should be there already, it's been installed by dev-3.3.1-2a.

Oh, by the way, you did install the SANE RPMs, right?  I have

    sane-backends-1.0.8-5
    sane-frontends-1.0.8-4
    xsane-0.84-8
    sane-backends-devel-1.0.8-5
    xsane-gimp-0.84-8

Technically you do not need the latter two I believe, though they do
come in handy especially the last one that allows you to scan from
within the Gimp (thing I use all the time).

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.