macromedia plug-ins

Julian Opificius yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 16:44:01 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
Norberto Quintanar <nquintanar@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Macromedia believe there is only one kind of CPU in this world,
> > and
> > > Macs
> > > don't run it.
>
> Don't knock Macromedia for it.  Market share dictates everything in
> America.  If apple made a nice entry level personal confuser that
> could compete with a $700 Dell you wouldn't need them in a store
> because people would buy them as quickly as they were made.  Thus
> increasing market share, thus increasing software development.
> Everyone would be surfing the web on a mac, and more than like
> running Linux.  if you've got a gripe about software, don't complain
> to the software people, complain to Apple.

If that were a valid reason there would be no third party software for Macs,
which obviously isn't the case.

Dell aren't selling their computers for $700 because they want to. They're doing
so because the competition is so cut-throat that they have to. The result is
that all PC clone mfrs build cheap crap (my own token 4-letter word!).

Apple's stuff is a joy to look at, works well, and at a qualitative level
implies a discerning user. Look at any non-computer related ad on the TV where
somebody has a computer in the background. It's always a Mac. Same for newspaper
comics.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not religious or about it, nor am I a zealot. I've
spent all my (real-time embedded) software development career on PCs, not Macs,
and I certainly don't want to bite the hand that has fed me for over two
decades.

Most schools have rows of Macs, and most graphic people use them with a strong
preference.

I suspect the reason that Macromedia aren't publishing a PPC Linux player is
that they'd have to dish out the source.

But again, I'm not an authority, and my opinions on the subject are not
well-informed.

--
j.