vrml and 3d worlds

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
01 Aug 2004 17:41:03 -0400

If you are going to do 3d you might as well work with as good as you can
get within the Linux world.  You would not be far from the top end to
explore working in and with Blender; Blender can create animations much
richer and more developed than the vrml stick figures I've seen
generated for web display.

Perhaps the art/display skills of the vrml figures or graphics I've seen
are quite low whereas the science behind the intended images may be
quite high... this may be true, but good science is always better served
by better art.  This is true in description of mathematical, spoken and
especially true in visual and aural forms of communication of complex
ideas.

Consider that the mathematics for cyclic/circadian systems and the
analytical descriptions of various numerical relationships such as how
pi and phi functions work in nature were well known at least a century
ago, but it wasn't until computer graphics processing grew sufficiently
that we can now "see" that these same equations, such as the Fibonacci
series, generate beautiful Mandelbrot/Julia sets, Leaves, and curves
determining the expansion of a seed to the development of the normal
curves of one's spine.

Blender is one of those tools which allows art to express science fact
not just precisely, but beautifully.  Had Da Vinci had this tool, my
word -- where would we be now?  Try Blender...and yes it works in YDL.
Anything working within Linux for x86 systems can be recompiled for ppc
systems if the code doesn't require x86 code usage.  And even if it
does, if you've the time and patience you can download the source and
recompile it for ppc systems and your own use.