a little help w/firewire drive please

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:54:40 -0500

Mr. Newsman:

newsman@verizon.net wrote:
> I'd like to have two partitions on the external drive: 1 for
> OS X and the other for Linux. First question---does it make
> good sense to make both partitions bootable? I already used
> Disk Utility in OS X to set up the OS X partition (HFS+). I
> placed the "free space" partition first and the OS X
> partition second per the instructions in the YDL installation
> guide.

This sounds like a lot of work. What, exactly, are you trying to
accomplish? Both Mac OS X and Yellow Dog Linux will recognize HFS, HFS+
(if you are running the correct kernel), and DOS/FAT formatted drives.
You might be better off to format the drive in one of those so that you
can access it from both YDL and OS X.

Unless I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint