Fwd: yum dependency problem, one solution

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

--0-76705394-1091558259=:96426

This is from the yum list.  After I read this I went back to my own
YDL box and attempted it.  It worked!

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://mail.yahoo.com
--0-76705394-1091558259=:96426

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:23:49 -0700
From: Bruce Rafnel <bruce@imeem.com>
To: yum@lists.dulug.duke.edu
Subject: [Yum] yum dependency problem, one solution
Sender: yum-bounces@lists.dulug.duke.edu

Hi,

This might have been covered before, but thought I would
share one dependency problem that I had, and its solution.

Actually I've had a number of dependency problems when using
yum.  It usually not yum's fault, but tracking down the
dependencies isn't much different from managing a server
without yum.  Of course not allowing --nodeps does force one
to use it only when you are sure an rpm's deps are
incorrect.

Here's my update command and its output. (The yum.conf file
is attached).

     >yum update
     Server: Local Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
     Server: Local Fedora Core 2 - x86_64 - Released Updates
     Finding updated packages
     Downloading needed headers
     Resolving dependencies
     .Package gedit needs libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0()(64bit), this is
not available.

This is a 64 bit server. "locate" found the file at:
/usr/lib64/libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0
"rpm -qf" shows the file is owned by gtksourceview-1.0.0-2
"rpm -qi gtksourceview" showed that it is installed.
"rpm -V gtksourceview" said the package is not install.
Huh!

* So rebuild the DB (rpm --rebuilddb).  Same result.
* Erased and reinstalled gtksourceview.  Same result.
* Changed yum.conf to point the actual Fedora core site,
   rather than the mirror.  Same result.

For some weird reason I decided to change the "exactarch"
option from 0 to 1.  yum update now works!

Best regards,

_BruceR

-------------------------
file: /etc/yum.conf

# ------------------------
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=0
retries=20

# ------------------------
[local-updates-released]
name=Local Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://yum.int.imeem/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

#[updates-released]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

[local-base]
name=Local Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://yum.int.imeem/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

#[base]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/