a little help w/firewire drive please

Gavin Hemphill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:46:12 -0300

I have a number of firewire drives and both OSX and YDL3.0.1 running on
all of them (bootable and just data).  I just use pdisk under YDL to add
the new partition to the existing (Apple) partition table if there is
"Apple_Free" available.  If you don't have any data on the disk you can
use the apple disk tools to create a single partition (I load the OS9
drivers as a matter of habit but they're not necessary unless you have a
machine that will boot into OS9), then delete the HFS partition and make
up your own scheme - see below.

A couple of things to note:  You have to be root to run pdisk, and when
you create the new partition for linux you have to use the "C" (create
with type command) and the type is "APPLE_UNIX_SVR2" for linux
partitions  the name can be whatever you want.  I usualy add 2
partitions (both APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 type), one for swap (about 2Gig) and
one which will be ext2 or ext3.  I even have the machine happily booting
off a couple of firewire drives.
after you have created the new partitions, you need to do a mkswap
/dev/sd?n for the swap partition and a mkfs -j /dev/sd?n to make an ext3
partition.  the "?" is the drive letter and the "n" is the appropriate
partition number.

Here's what one of my disks looks like.  I personally put my bootstrap
partition first (right after the Apple_Patches partition, with my HFS
partition second, and my Linux partitions (which I've used on both X86
boxes and on my TiPowerbook) last.

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
  #:                type name               length   base      ( size )
  1: Apple_partition_map Apple                  63 @ 1
  2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 64
  3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 120
  4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 176
  5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 232
  6:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh             512 @ 288
  7:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh             512 @ 800
  8:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition       512 @ 1312
  9:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled            62912 @ 1824      ( 30.7M)
10:           Apple_HFS "MacAlly60"      79396736 @ 64736     ( 37.9G)
11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              2097152 @ 79461472  (  1.0G)
12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root             35651584 @ 81558624  ( 17.0G)
13:          Apple_Free Extra                  32 @ 117210208

You also can get extfs for MacOS 10.3  I think it was on the "apple OS X
software page" but a google will turn it up.

	G++