iBook x config

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:54:45 +1000

Hi Nicole,

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:34:35AM -0400, nicole wrote:
> If he finds something that works, please post about it.  I had the
> 2.6.6 kernel and have the "torn" affect you describe... compiling CVS
> helped enough that my display is mostly useable. I have tried the
> chipset id variable with no success.  Currently my display is useable
> for about 5 - 10 minutes before headaches ensue from the "scrolling
> line" effect.  I am trying to get this to work though at this point I
> am ready to try another distribution.  I got my iBook in 11/03 so I
> suspect I do not have the older Radeon chipset this works on.

A further update on the problem.  Installing XFree86-4.3.0-55 from the
fedora archives did not help.  The XFree it comes with does mention
M9+, but with other chipID's than 5c63 (5968, 5969, 596A and 596B).
As a result even with setting the chipId to one of these Stewart's
iBook did not get more than 8bit fbdev to work.

Stewart did download, build and install XFree86 4.4, but there appears
to have been a problem with dependencies and it needs to be rebuilt.
This does recognise the chipset correctly, but the Radeon driver
crashes with comments about library dependencies!  Similar problems
resulted when the fbdev driver was tried for more than 8bits.

Stewart will try rebuilding XFree86 to fix the dependency problem
tonight.  The other option is the Xorg X11 server for which an src.rpm
is available for Fedora.

I will let you (and the list) know of further developments.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering