Fwd: co-existence is possible

Kai Staats yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:15:32 -0600

This just in from Andrew ...

I suggest we (you) keep both the Mailing Lists and the Forum... The ML as the
27/7/365 help desk and the forum as the YDL enthusiasts chit-chat place.

Its clear to me that the Mailing Lists are much more convenient and make it
easy to reach lots of people at once then a forum do. They actually provide
me with some interesting readings when I get back from work, and that, right
on my face :). I often learn stuffs from these messages (like that the $PATH
is sequential and should not be a long line). It does not require a 'login'
every time the users want to reply. Navigating these forums is
potential-useless-time-wasting pain the the @$$, if we look farther, when the
forum will actually have tons of threads.. hmmm just like the ML archives,
indeed...

As for the forum's sweet spots, the predominant advantage could be
content/user control. From an admin P.O.V., it seam easier to block unwanted
troublemakers out of the way and maintain some level of content quality. I
witnessed a couple discussions being deviated from the original subject,
leaving the original poster without a single tangible answer.

That make most of my points. ML as a help-desk, forum as a chatter. --Andrew