Lost in Flash Drive PCI USB SCSI hotplug, etc.

Walt Pawley yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:41:41 -0700

On 8/6/04 8:23 PM +0000, Albrecht Dre=DF wrote on Re: Lost in Flash Drive PC=
USB SCSI hotplug, etc.

>Am 06.08.04 21:19 schrieb(en) Walt Pawley:
>> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
>>  #:                type name                 length   base   ( size )
>>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
>>  2:           Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2 511920 @ 64     (250.0M)
>>  3:          Apple_Free                          16 @ 511984
>
>"mount -t hfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/some-existing-dir" (as root) should work?

I came to that idea too. However, it complains that the appropriate
filesystem is not found. I tried both "-t hfs" and "-t hfsplus" and all the
partition numbers including using a null number and 3, even, just for
completeness.

Since the original posting, I went back the G5 and reformated the Flash
Drive with Apple's version of UFS. This didn't help at all (about all that
seemed to change in the partition map was the "H" in the type column
changed to a "U"). I found it somewhat odd that Apple doesn't see fit to
provide a DOS-ish format in Disk Utility. Perhaps I'm missing something
there as well ... sigh.

--
Walter M. Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Wump Research & Company