Lost in Flash Drive PCI USB SCSI hotplug, etc.

Marcelo Giles yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:32:36 -0300

Congrats Walt! Good job.

Now, what about having your new toy mount itself (while saying: look
Walt, no hands!).

Here are the steps you should try. I'm not saying this gonna work
flawlessly for you, but it's worth trying, specially after all the
trouble you have been through.

0- umount and unplug the flash drive.

1- Edit your /etc/fstab file and comment out the line you added for the
flash drive.

2- Edit the /ect/auto.master file and uncomment the last line
(/misc/etc/auto.misc --timeout=60).

3- Edit the /etc/auto.misc file and add the following line at the end
of it:

flash   -fstype=vfat   :/dev/sda1

4- Execute (as root) service autofs restart.

5- Plug the flash drive.

6- Do an ls /misc/flash.

If everything worked as expected, there should be your flash thing. You
should be able to use it normally.

7- You can rmdir the /mnt/flash directory, you won't need it anymore
and you can delete the flash drive line from the /etc/fstab file for
good.

Good luck. Hope it works.

If it doesn't, you can always trace back your steps and leave
everything as it was.

--
Marcelo