Lost in Flash Drive PCI USB SCSI hotplug, etc.

Marcelo Giles yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:00:25 -0300

Dear Walt,

I'm sorry to learn that you didn't feel good about your accomplishment.
Reading further, I realized why and I have to agree with you.
Unfortunately, Linux for PPC is at a rather early level of maturity,
i.e., compared to that of Linux for x86, the platform for and on which
it was originally developed.

Linux for PPC is a porting of Linux for x86. (IMO) One of the major
obstacles to the improvement of Linux on the PPC platform is the ad-hoc
closed, proprietary nature of the Macintosh hardware. Developers of
Linux distributions (YDL, Debian, Gentoo, etc), have to put up with the
sudden changes of specifications that so often come from Apple. These
developers have to work really hard to "figure out" how the new
hardware works, sometimes without a single clue. I guess that many
times they have to resort to reverse-engineer Mac OS code to be able to
learn how to interface with a particular piece of hardware (graphics,
sound, modem, network, etc).

Whereas on a PC box (branded or not) Linux (particularly with kernels
2.4 and 2.6), has truly became "plug'n play". It REALLY works. You just
insert CD 1, select a few options and you're done. The only thing you
have to do after that is insert the rest of the CDs. Some distributions
even come on a DVD, so you insert it, click, click and that's all.

Linux on x86 is much more advanced just because the companies that make
the hardware (HP, IBM, Dell, etc) have partnered with Linux
distributions and really cooperate to make Linux work on their
hardware. The only exceptions being from time to time some graphics
cards from ATI and Envidia or some of the more bleeding-edge hardware.

As for documentation, this is one of the factors that contributes
heavily to the price of software. It demands too many man-hours and it
is obsoleted very quickly.

The problem with the smaller Linux distributions (insert YDL here) is
their limited resources and reduced staffs, most of them part-time
volunteers working ad-honorem, just for the thrill of it.

But Linux has its wealth of free and well-written documentation.
Check-out, for instance, the set of Red Hat manuals at
www.redhat.com/docs. There are 6 of them: 1-Installation, 2-Step by
Step, 3-Administration, 4-Reference, 5-Introduction to System
Administration, 6-Security. Each of them from 100 to more than 300
pages long. I don't know about SuSe, but I'm sure they have their fair
share of quality documentation, too.

On the Unix side, you should take a look at the huge amount of quality
documentation available for IBM's AIX or Sun's Solaris.

All this was not meant to apologize anybody, it's just the part of the
picture that I'm able to see. I'm sure that there are many more factors
contributing to the overall perception that you have of Linux and Unix
in general, but I'm afraid they're beyond my limited visual field.

Regarding the HFS+ issue, I understand that support for this file
system comes in the latest 2.4 kernels and, of course, in 2.6.
Probably, you're using an earlier version.

Finally, I'll look for some documentation that explains the issue of
usb-to-scsi mapping and (if I find something decent), I'll forward it
to you (in case you're still interested, of course).

And Walt, please, don't be discouraged. You know that you can count on
the fine people that makes this mailing list what it is, a friendly and
cooperative place in which you'll always find good advise.

Best regards.
--
Marcelo