RPMS for MySQL version 4?

John M. Wright yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

 On: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:04:57 -0500 (CDT), Jima <jima@beer.tclug.org> wrote:

 >  Sorry, mistaken identity.  Who'd think two people would ask about MySQL 4
 > RPMs in a single week? :P

Well, my question was prompted by the first inquiry about MySQL 4 and
your reply, so it's not so surprising.

 >  Anyway, that can be shortened to:
 >
 > 1. download SRPM
 > 2. # rpmbuild --rebuild MySQL-4.0.20-0.src.rpm
 >
 >      Jima

OK, but I fail to see how this would produce different binary RPMS
than:  #rpm -Uvh MySQL-4.0.20-0.src.rpm

followed by: #rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/MySQL-4.0.20-0.spec

In any case, I have tried both; both create a set of MySQL- rpms

(# ls MySQL*
MySQL-bench-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm
MySQL-client-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm
MySQL-devel-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm
MySQL-embedded-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm
MySQL-Max-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm
MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm
MySQL-shared-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm)

that fail to install because:

# rpm -Uvh MySQL*
error: Failed dependencies:
        libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1017-3
        libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) php-mysql-4.2.2-16

I could probably do without the perl module, but I definitely need the
php.  So I guess the question should change to: Where might I find a
php-mysql RPM that can use libmysqlclient.so.12 (which is what the
MySQL-shared-4.0.20-0.ppc.rpm provides) and not break umpteen other
dependencies?  Is my only realistic option to dump the RPM installed
versions of php, MySQL and perhaps httpd, and start with latest source
tarballs?

My original question was:

 > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, John M. Wright wrote:
 > > Forgive my ignorance; what do you mean by "the compiled-in
 > > data directory"?

which referred to some manual tweaking you had suggested was necessary
to the MySQL source and/or spec files before compiling.

Thanks for any suggestions,

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright@ucsd.edu; phone: 858-534-3049