Enabling server mode

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:39:15 +0300 (EEST)

> What's wrong with simply this?
> echo -ne "\x01\x13\x01" > powerup-boot

Since you asked:

(The following is from "man echo" on Solaris.)

USAGE
     Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argu-
     ment) or escape sequences.

Furthermore, neither the "man echo" or "info echo" pages document the
possibility of using hexadecimal notation (at least in FC1 coreutils
4.5.3, which is the newest coreutils I've got anywhere), and indeed,
if you run "/bin/echo what-you-said" on a Linux, you don't get the
intended results.

The hexadecimal notation is specific to the internal "echo" in bash.
Given that the whole world is not bash, recommending that it be used
at all is yet another obstacle to portability across Unices, and given
that not everybody uses bash as their shell even in Linux, even an
internal obstacle to portability within Linux.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,