MOL maladies - Thanks

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:22:54 -0700

After sending a copy of my yaboot.conf, in the hopes of helping Baruch
Stone, I decided it was past time to upgrade my kernel, at least to the
2.4.22-2g level. I knew the procedure included yum update kernel and,
rather than looking for any instructions, just jumped right in with "yum
update kernel". Well, of course, yum dutifully did as instructed.

I started MOL and got the kernel not found error, that has been reported
here so thoroughly. I went to the Mail List archives and searched,
finding many responses, the bulk of which came in 2000! Since they
involved *re-compiling* MOL, I did what is quickly becoming the *SMART*
thing to do.

I went to the FAQ site, prepared by Bill, Clint, Mascarasnake, Dr. Dave,
and others. I used the search there, which *instantly* brought me to the
simple instructions prepared by Dr. David Hacker DVM that indicated the
smart thing was to use:

yum update

no qualifiers, no flags, no maybe just this or that.

No here's the really important part:

*IT WORKED!!!*

I have the new kernel, I have a new GAIM, I have MOL functioning at peak
efficiency. I have sound (on every reboot, not just the ones where my
fingers are crossed and my toes are clenched).

I'll have to do some more reading to find out why the 2.4.22-2g kernel
is the only choice when I hit the <Tab> for boot options, but I get the
2.4.22-a kernel when I just let it boot automatically, but... that's
just a formality.

Thanks again for your work in putting together a *very* valuable resource.

Olaf