Enabling server mode

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:03:19 +0300 (EEST)

> > printf '\1\2\3' > powerup-boot
>
> This is again bash specific.  On my shell (tcsh) this just gives:
>
> gwiz% printf '\1\2\3' > powerup-boot
> printf: \1: invalid escape

As far as I can tell, it's not bash specific.  Since printf(1) is a
system utility, the aberrant behaviour (i.e. using a shell internal
instead of loading a system utility) is the one that is specific to
something (a shell that has an internal printf that works differently
from the system utility) and as far as I can tell, the culprit appears
to be tcsh.

I could reproduce the "invalid escape" on YDL 2.3 tcsh 6.10-6, FC1
tcsh 6.12-4, and Debian 2.2 tcsh 6.09.00-10.

I couldn't reproduce it on whatever tcsh is installed by default in
IRIX 6.5 and Solaris 8.

A tcsh 6.11.00 compiled by yours truly from original sources doesn't
have the problem on Solaris 8 or IRIX 6.5, but does on Linux...

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,