connection problems

admin@datazap.net yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:01:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I setup yellow dog linux 3.0 for the first time on a powerbook G3 lombard.
I then used kppp to get on the internet. It worked fine for a while, but
then I had an issue with the default route. Then I changed "ONBOOT=no" in
ifcfg-eth0, and I added "GATEWAY=" and "GATEWAYDEV=" to
/etc/sysconfig/network. Then it started adding the proper default route,
and working, but really slow. All I wanted to be able to do is ssh into
another box with this laptop, and the lag is really bad. Plus, when using
a browser most pages either fail to load or only partially load. Yet, if I
ping something on the net I don't get really bad ping times (about 200
ms), although there is some packet loss. So, I plugged the phone line
into this computer instead (orginal G3 powerbook running mac os 9.22), and
there is very little lag.

Any ideas on what could cause this?

Thanks,
Al