Enabling server mode

Walt Pawley yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:36:38 -0700

On 8/10/04 1:08 PM -0700, Walt Pawley wrote on Re: Enabling server mode

>Just for fun, I tried this on a number of different systems (Mac OS X, YDL
>3.0.1, FreeBSD 3.2) and it gave me the same file content on all systems.
>
>perl -e 'print "\x01\x13\x01";' > powerup-boot

Not willing to leave a sleeping Yellow Dog lay, I continued to putz with
things and discovered there's a utility on my YDL 3.0 named "xxd". Unless
I'm mistaken, it can produce the file without using any escapes, etc. To
wit:

echo 011301 | xxd -r -p > powerup-boot

I'm gonna hafta look into xxd a bit. Seems it might be handy and I don't
see it on OS X.

--
Walter M. Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Wump Research & Company