[OT] The World is Yellow! UPDATE

sloopy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
12 Aug 2004 12:12:59 -0400

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 14:53, Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 22:40, sloopy wrote:
>
> > i didnt see what machine you are using but guessing by the fact you
> > tried a Color Plus 14" i would say you are probly using a resolution
> > adaptor... just remember not all resolution adaptors are created
> > equal... usually the 4 switch variety dont work on as many monitors as
> > 10 switch, or ones with a rotary dial and 4-6 switches... i have one
> > here with 4 switches that i cant get two monitors to work for me with,
> > but with my 10switch or my rotary/6 switch they work fine...
>
> The adapter is a 'Universal Mac Video Converter Unimac(tm)82D' from
> Total Technology. It has two row of 8 switches.
>
> > as for the rasterops, it is possible a similar thing happened if it
> > didnt have a mac specific cable with resolution pins set... (and just
> > cause it has a DB-15 doesnt mean it is mac specific...)
>
> I didn't knew that :). I know of only two types of video adaptors: One
> is Mac (two rows, wide connector) and the other is PC (three row, tight
> connector).

yeah basically you have the HD-15 (what is called 'VGA') DB-15 what is
used on older macs... there is also 'DB-9' used on CGA/EGA on pc's and
BNC connectors (anywhere from 3-5 of them... )  where i used to work we
had Sony GDM-1950/1952 19" monitors ( and were limited to a resolution
of 1024x768 or 1152x870 ) and they had mac 'connectors' on the end but
required a special resolution adaptor which had a DB-15 on both ends...

newer macs are capable of using any monitor a pc is (the later Quadras
and newer...) if you have a decent resolution adaptor... unfortunatly
they are not all created equal and some are better then others...

i have yet to find a PC monitor i can use on a mac... the monitor i am
using right now is a Samsung SyncMaster 152n LCD that has a beutiful
display... i have an OLD ('96) Dell monitor to my left that works well
(or as well as a dell monitor works...)

does your res adaptor come with a table of settings? can you scan/take a
pic and send it to me?

sloopy.

p.s. clinton a faq of res adaptor setting maybe an idea... as they get
older finding instructions for settings is getting harder...

p.p.s. if pushed hard enough i may write up something on this...