printing options - SOLVED

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:16:33 +0200

Hi,

Right after sending my last mail with the "No pages found" error, I got
this bright idea ;-) : why not check the logs to see if cups had spewn
some more information.

I found /var/log/cups/error_log which gave some more info, but not much.
It suggested to set LogLevel to debug for more info. So I did in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf.

After my next attempt, the error messages in the logfile were far more
revealing:
/usr/bin/gs: error while loading shared libraries: libgimpprint.so.1:

Strange, I did compile and install gimp-print 4.2.7, so why can't
ghostscript (gs) find the accompanying library ?

Well, here's the clue... The gimp-print version that comes with
yellowdog gets installed in /usr/lib. The one I compiled, gets installed
in /usr/local/lib. The dynamic linker doesn't look there.

But that is relatively easy to solve:
- as root edit /etc/ld.so.conf, and add a line containing /usr/local/lib
- run ldconfig to update the linker cache

Et voilą: the next test page got through without a hitch. (Must remember
to check the log files earlier, must remember to check the logfiles
earlier, must remember... ;-) )

Personally, I think this little detail will fix the printing issues for
many list members that tried to download and install another version of
gimp-print, but it didn't work.

Good luck to them !

Cheers,

Geert