printing options - SOLVED

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:12:37 +0200

Longman, Bill wrote:
>>Personally, I think this little detail will fix the printing
>>issues for
>>many list members that tried to download and install another
>>version of
>>gimp-print, but it didn't work.
>>
>>Good luck to them !
>

> I think it's also an example of how you can get tripped up by mixing
> compiled code with your RPM-based system.

Well, I partly dealt with this mixing problem by using checkinstall in
stead of simply make install

This way, rpm has a track record of everything that got installed by
this personal compilation.

I also removed the installed gimp-print rpm beforehand, to avoid double
libraries. (I had to use rpm -e though, which always feels
uncomfortable, even though I was about to re-install the same
functionality).

As an after thought, I could also have configured the build process to
use /usr/lib as the install prefix, instead of /usr/local/lib (ie
./configure --prefix=/usr ..., I would presume, but NOT TESTED).
That combined with checkinstall should normally create a binary rpm that
replaces the original rpm where it was.

But my setup works now, I'm not about to change it until I have to due
to other failing dependencies.

Cheers,

Geert