kernel panic, vmlinux-2.4.22-2g and cdrtools

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
13 Aug 2004 17:34:15 -0400

Don't see much activity on today's list... guess everyone's
superstitious!

Anyway as an Unbeliever, I just plow on ahead.  I noticed that here and
elsewhere although there is explanations on how to use yum to update the
kernel and also acquire the kernel in its source form and compile and so
on and so forth there does not appear to exist a place discussing in
detail what happens if both methods fail.  Which has happened in my
experience using both methods.

For instance, I had downloaded the source gone through the compilation
and then when the kernel had finally been built regardless of what
options or modules I had selected for during the early phases of the
kernel's construction not only did the process result with the kernel's
name being unusual (even for kernels) the kernel itself seemed to
relocate or look for libraries which placed elsewhere or didn't exist!
Which itself resulted in the dread "kernel panic" upon boot!

Similarly, I used yum update to get whatever was current including the
new kernel and then when it was copied onto my Mac side for use with
BootX no matter what I did, I would again get "kernel panic"!  In this
case, the kernel panic existed because in could not find the /dev to
open although BootX had it quite clearly and the links for the
System.map and other associated files were not changed.

By the way, I did try changing the System.map links and associated files
so that they matching with the files associated respectfully with the
new and old kernels and still there were kernel panics.  ONLY when the
old relationships were restored did everything return to normal which
meant I stayed with the old kernel installed by the YDL 3.0 Sirius
disks.

The next thing which comes into my head in downloading and using patches
available on kernel.org, but I'm really unsure whether it's going to
really "do" anything significantly different as in being useful; as I've
found very detailed advice regarding Intel based systems regarding
lilo.conf but I find nothing as detailed on the YDL side of the
universe.

This is going to be a long weekend trying this stuff out, but I'll have
a wing-ding of a HOW TO if I can slug it out.  Ideas would be
appreciated, as always... If I appear a bit non-plussed; I've just spent
the last few hours examining nearly 2000 lines of source code in a
kernel patch looking for clues instead of "manifestos" regarding basic
coding standards... really depressing stuff when you realize that this
"stuff" is written to the lowest common state of supposed comprehension
possible AND given the way Linux actually doesn't work -- a whole lot --
it's a wonder that anything works AT ALL!

This is not the fault of TSS, but the nature of what Linux has become
and of course the nature of mass human participation is not neat and
tidy anywhere.  Unless we are speaking of the grandiose human tendency
to implode with either dogmatic nationalism or dogmatic religiosity.

I don't believe that dogma applied to programming is going to work
either.  I guess this is my version of seeing Yellow everywhere... and
not the pleasant shade either.  I've got to post Schily's view of coding
and his views regarding Linux somewhere it's absolutely stellar.

I've also downloaded the cdrtools which is supposed to be a replacement
of cdrecord -- I'm still after activating and using ide-scsi; no luck so
far.  OH WELL...back to the SOURCE...AGAIN!!

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER sounds nice if one is clear as to WHO is doing the
prospering after all molds live and prosper too, and some say they do so
better than humans and last longer too!!  I guess this is fair topic for
a Cell Biologist...

Happy Friday the 13th... everyone...Oops...No I don't mean the
series...although I think Freddy would definitely give the Predator and
Alien shrieks they could never live with.  Hell, and with the Cenobites
on our side to back Freddy up, Humanity would easily last another 3K
years.  No doubt about it....