Mach Kernels for YDL install on NuBus PPCs like the 6100

David Wadson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:20:39 -0400

 =46rom http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/#installers, download the YDL =20=

3.0 boot kernel:
http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/nubus-pmac/test/MachKernel-YDL30-=20
030623.gz

Interesting...they've just updated the latest kernel to 2.4.27 - I'll =20=

have to try that one:
http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/nubus-pmac/test/MachKernel-2.4.27-=20
040811.gz

I found the CD drives on those old Macs to be VERY tempermental with =20
the install CDs and I now use a different machine to share the install =20=

files via NFS and do net installs. Much easier than fighting with the =20=

CDs. Also, Try to have at least 64MB of RAM - found less to be a little =20=

flakey at times. Occasionally had some hard drives being troublesome, =20=

giving Mesh errors. I think it mostly went back to termination issues =20=

on the internal bus. I found that sometimes disconnecting the internal =20=

CD for the install helped. The text installer sucks compared to the =20
graphical installer - much more difficult to really prune down a base =20=

install if you want to have the bare minimum of stuff installed. =20
Learning how to edit comps.xml can help you get rid of some extra =20
stuff. Considering that most 6100/7100/8100 had like 500MB or 1GB =20
drives, you usually don't have much room to work with.