KDE in mac os x

Chris Kastorff yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:58:28 -0400

> Chris Kastorff wrote:
>

>>> Does this mean I could boot my G3 iMac, startup X11, dump the Aqua
>>> interface and run my usual cast on Linux characters: Gnome, TB,
>>> Firefox, and PHPmyadmin? Is there a price -- in the way of
>>> overloaded CPU or bloated memory -- for such a solution?
>>>
>>> Ed
>>

>> It does. I run KDE and Aqua (switchable by Cmd-Opt-A) at the same
>> time, both heavily loaded as compared to most people. You do have to
>> do some .xinitrc hacking to get the clipboard right, but otherwise my
>> system runs great. I do have 768MB of RAM, so that might make a huge
>> difference.
>
> Ouch. I have 384MB of RAM, 151MB free after TB, Firefox and a Terminal
> window are open.
>
> Ed

The "RAM Free" is extraordinarily high when any apps are running in a
*nix OS because it shows what is used, not what can be freed (windoze).
My RAM usage after launching my main apps (Firefox, Mail, Remote
Desktop, iChat, X11, iTunes, and KDE with no apps loaded) is over
600MB, and most of that is unused (just ready incase of mallocs). Just
try it (no harm, just slowness) and see if you like the results.

	-Chris K.