Mac G3 reboots during installation

bruce woller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:55:38 -0600

I had this trouble with a G3 once.  Bought it off e-bay as a G3 B&W
450MHz.  Could not get it to be stable under YDL 2.3.  On closer
examination of the "guts" I found that the CPU had been clock chipped
from a 333MHz desktop machine.  Check the jumper settings on the
motherboard.  There is (or should be) a piece of tape over the jumpers
that says "don't mess with these jumpers!"  I do not have the exact
location of the jumpers but you should be able to get it from google.
When I set the jumpers to select the 333MHz clock all went smoothly.
And no,  I never did get my money back - the seller was truly a crook.
On Aug 23, 2004, at 11:12 PM, Corey Mercer wrote:

> Sorry, wasn't trying to spam.. browser locked up and
> acted like the mail didn't send.
>
> -cor-
> --- Corey Mercer <corwashere@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I've tried switching hard drives, ram, pram
>> batteries and I've tried removing unnecessary cards,
>> but I still can't seem to get yellowdog to install
>> on
>> this g3. Should I just hold off until version 4? I
>> can't imagine what else would cause this thing to
>> reboot in the middle of an installation. It happens
>> during the file copy at random moments. At one point
>> it actually made it to the second cd and I thought I
>> was home free until it rebooted during that one. The
>> only other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps
>> the system doesn't like ext3, but it's late and I'm
>> tired and don't feel like fighting with it anymore
>> today. I'll try changing the fs to ext2 tomorrow and
>> see if that helps, but I am not even remotely
>> optimistic.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> -cor-
>> --- Corey Mercer <corwashere@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was given a Mac G3 Blue and White Tower that had
>>> os
>>> 9.2 on it. In several attempts to install YDL, the