ydl 4.0rc2 - sound anyone?

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
28 Aug 2004 11:47:11 -0400

Hi Chris:
It shouldn't matter but I have found that using KDE is different from
using Gnome in what apps. are available.  I tend to use Gnome and the
Voume control app I used exists within that environment.  The line
column I spoke of which always worked for me when I had mysterious sound
problems lies between the speaker and mic columns.

However, if you system is reporting that it cannot find a "device" then
perhaps the problem may lie in what your pb's system is "seeing" as
available.  Why don't you run a hardware diagnostic using TechTools Pro
and see what it tells you.

Yes. It runs on the Mac side but it will test the hardware; and its the
hardware now that is questionable.  If something comes up, that is if
TechTools discovers something that requires repair at least it will save
you time from playing too long the "Linux Hardware Guessing Game"!

>From the Linux side, do the following:

demesg > filename

This will put the last boot message into a filename you create.  Then
use vim or some other editor to read the file in detail.  Look for any
error messages, can't read this or that etc.  That should give you more
direct leads as to what may be happening with your hardware.  I would
recommend a YDL FAQ website but apparently that is down for some
undetermined reason.

Happy t-shooting....