Configuring an apple stylewriter 2500 on Yellow Dog Linux

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
30 Aug 2004 17:27:01 +0200

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:33:57 +0200
> From: Thomas Kaddatz <tommac@web.de>
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: Configuring an apple stylewriter 2500 on Yellow Dog Linux
>
> Hi everyone out there!
> I have no success to print to my apple color stylewriter 2500 on YDL
> (YellowDogLinux).
> My hardware:
> Apple (beige) G3 233; YDL 3.0
>
> It seems I can't talk to my serial port:
> dmesg | grep tty
> gives me following:
>
> ----
> tty00 at 0xcb99e020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC, port = modem
> tty01 at 0xcb9a5000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC, port = printer
> ----
>
> I made a (locally connected) printing-queue to /dev/tty01, but with no success.
> I had also a try under CUPS, but printing a test page doesn't work, too.
>
> All the lpstyl (--> driver/filter for my stylewriter) and foomatic stuff seemes
> to be installed by YDL, there are also all the PPDs...
> ...searched information here, at YDL-support-forums,google and newsgroups
>
> Could anyone help me out???

Hi Thomas,

the problem is, that lpstyl, the actual driver binary, is *not* included
in the YDL distro, only the foomatic PPDs that will call it when it is
installed. You have to install it separately.

You can still get it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/monroe/styl/

Just follow the steps in the README - it compiles easily and works well!
I do have a Color StyleWriter 1500 attached to my G3 233 on the printer
port, and it certainly does print.

In case you run into trouble, feel free to contact me for further
details, or an already compiled binary.

Regards,
Alex

--