No joy installing YDL on iMac

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 06:14:37 MST 2004

Some commands that are useful:
1. ctrl-option-F1 through F6 will give you text interfaces,
ctrl-option-F7 will give you a GUI (when you get X.org running ;)
2. pico is your friend. This is a very easy to use command-line text
editor. (Ignore instructions that involve vi. I have no idea why
people insist on talking about vi when it's only slightly more
functional than the assembly editors of the early 80s).
3. su will give you "super user" powers which you will need to edit
the XF86Config file!

So, to edit the file(s):
1. if you aren't at a point where you can type and see text appear
press ctrl-option-F1.

2. Login to your account with the username and password you specified
when you installed (if you don't even have this I advise you to
abandon your Linux experiment and be satisfied with the (more refined
and stable) OS X).

3. type su followed by enter. you will be asked for a 'root' password
that you should have specified at install time. ALTERNATELY (perhaps a
better solution), at step 2 login as username "root" (no quotes),
password whateveryouspecified. Root is the "super user" in YDL and can
do _anything_.

4. cd to the relevant directory,e.g. cd /etc (follow the instructions
at the URL you cited)

5. type "pico XF86Config" and press enter (no quotes)

6. Make the changes as specified in your URL. Ctrl-k cuts one or more
lines (if you press ctrl-k repeatedly without moving the cursor you
select a whole bunch of lines). Ctrl-u (I think) pastes said line(s).
Arrow keys move the cursor, ctrl-y ctrl-b are page up/down and I think
the normal page-up/down keys work as well.

7. Pico has a good on-line help. RTFS (read the friggin screen) for
additional details.

8. To exit pico, ctrl-x. Follow the on-screen instructions to either
save or not save the file. NOTE: If you do not have permission to
change the file you will not be able to save it. You MUST be logged in
as root or have executed the su program to be able to edit the file.

9. type startx or xstart (whatever it is) or reboot

Good luck

Eric.