Install of AHA2940U made my linux crash...

Corbett Battaile ccb at ydl.net
Sun Dec 5 08:05:52 MST 2004

Hello Marc.

--On 12/5/04 12:35 PM +0100 markov at tele2.be wrote:

> I plugged in the scsi card and it seemed to recognise the card
> under ydl3.  Then when I connected a disk(power off), I got kernel panics
> and could no longer boot.  So I installed the system on an extzernal
> scsi (not Fast wide, I do not have such a box..)

[SNIP]

> I fetched this card in French Bric a brac shop, what is it worth??
> It gives this output with dmesg:
> scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
>         <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter>
>         aic7870: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs
>
> (scsi0:A:0): 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
>   Vendor: IBM       Model: DCAS-34330    !#  Rev: S69D
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Looks like the card is properly recognized, and I'm pretty sure I've used
AHA2940U cards under YDL 3. Is it possible that your SCSI chain is
unterminated? (Would that even be an issue if the SCSI drive is off? Not
sure, but suspect so.) If that's not the problem, could you have a bad SCSI
cable?

> It works OK, but when I try to repair the internal ydl disc  I get::
> [root at localhost root]# fsck /dev/sdc
> fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
> fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc

[SNIP]

> [root at localhost root]# pdisk /dev/sdc Edit /dev/sdc - Command (? for
> help): p
>
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sdc'
>  #:                type name      length   base    ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple         63 @ 1
>  2:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2*swap      401408 @ 64      (196.0M)
>  3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 8065728 @ 401472  (  3.8G)

[SNIP]

You'll have to fsck the specific filesystem, rather than the device as a
whole. So in your case you'd want to do "fsck /dev/sdc3".

Hope that helps,

--
Corbett Battaile