YDL 4 post-install lockup on PB g4

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 11:46:43 MST 2004

OK... But... I am missing something.  It is my understanding that
without enabling riva support in the kernel,

        CONFIG_FB_RIVA=m
        CONFIG_FB_RIVA_I2C=y

the 'nv' driver is not available. Is that correct?

As I reported earlier it was necessary to use a VGA monitor to install
YDL4. With a 22" LCD Apple Cinema Display in place:

* the install process starts,
* the penguin appears,
* /sbin/loader kicks off
* screen goes blank and stays blank
* switching back and forth between desktops does not help.

Removing the LCD monitor and replacing it with a VGA monitor allowed the
install to begin, proceed, and complete without incident.

If the VGA monitor then is replaced by a 22" LCD Apple Cinema Display,
the system will not boot. The boot sequence hangs while loading the USB
file system. The boot sequence hang is repeatable.

Replacing stock 2.6.8 kernel with a 2.6.9 kernel with riva support seems
to solve the problem.

Is there another solution?

-Joseph

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco at comcast.net>