Graphical yum for Fedora Core 3

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:38:08 MST 2004

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:14:26 -0800, four of six defective
<4_of_6_defective at comcast.net> wrote:
> Clinton MacDonald wrote:
>
> > Friends:
> >
> > Could YDL 4 be far behind?
> >
> > <http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/fc3/>
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Clint
> >
> Is this a good thing?

YES. The CLUI "is so 1970s" (nasal valley girl twang). My YDL server
hasn't been touched for a few weeks now, partly b/c I don't want to
have the headaches of going to YDL 4, but also b/c Ubuntu offers me
the ability to install/remove/play with new apps without even having
to touch the CLUI (other than once to !ssh to the YDL server to
restart the xserver since it seemed to be chewing up 90-100% of the
CPU load (I had left a session logged in... perhaps the screen saver
was using cycles?) and slowing down the network file services it
runs... I should probably stop the xserver from starting up at all but
I doubt it uses up enough CPU cycles under normal conditions to be an
issue).

It seems that there's a developer race going on and Synaptic is a nice
example of what can be done (and, is likely further ahead than GYUM).
It makes yum look like a joke (&, as someone pointed out, yum takes
FOREVER to check update headers, even from relatively fast
repositories).

Eric.