ALSA

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Fri Dec 10 09:14:07 MST 2004

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Geert,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> I attempted to get  KsCD running under the KDE desktop, but did not
> succeed. Maybe it is the choice of 2.6.9 kernel modules that I have
> loaded. KMix does not display anything like 'Mic Boost'.  Choosing ALSA
> in the KDE control panel and clicking the sound test produces a sound
> embedded in a lot of white noise.
>
> It would be helpful if you could provide the output from 'lsmod' as well
> as your sound entries in modprobe.conf.
>
> As for music... "Blur" ???   Hmmm... must be a generational thing
> [:-)].  I am using XMMS with ALSA to listen to some classic Nina Simone
> recordings along with the jazz piano stylings of Cyrus Chestnut.
>

> Be well,

[root at g3ydl root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nfs                   233824  1
snd_powermac           42216  1
snd_pcm               100764  1 snd_powermac
snd_timer              24328  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          8424  1 snd_pcm
snd                    50668  5 snd_powermac,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8392  1 snd
nfsd                  219124  9
exportfs                5568  1 nfsd
lockd                  68668  3 nfs,nfsd
sunrpc                159692  21 nfs,nfsd,lockd
ipv6                  274932  15
autofs4                19332  0
tulip                  51552  0

[root at g3ydl root]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 bmac
alias snd-card-0 snd_powermac
alias eth1 tulip
install char-major-4 /bin/true
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 && {
/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; }
remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 ||:; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove sound-slot-0

modprobe.conf.dist is stock YDL 4.0, I made no changes to it.

Also, have you tried upping all the sliders in KMix ? That's what helped
Cian Duffy to get sound.

Also see if in the switches tab (is there one in your KMix ?) all
switches are active.

Hope this helps.

Geert Jan

PS: I'm cc'ing the ydl list, just in case other people are interested in
the further explorations.

PPS: [OT] Ah, Nina Simone's not a bad choice either. Blur was just the
CD I had handy when trying sound to get to work. But of course, you
can't argue colours and taste as they say... :-)