4.0 installed with ease! And now ...

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 12 14:44:28 MST 2004

I finally got around to putting it onto my wife's 1999 (I think it was) G3
iBook; Terrasoft's CDs just installed, practically effortlessly. (I used
automatic partitioning, but did a custom install, since I wanted to pick
and choose -- leaving games out, for instance, but getting both Gnome and
KDE (the latter mainly just for Konqueror).

Then I told it yum update. Of course it ran the whole list of things by me
: GoodgawddlemityDAM, there's been a lot of work done on this OS already!

Of course it only proposed to actually update a fistful of things; but
somebody *made* all those things -- and they benefit all of us. I'm not
likely, for instance, ever to want Lithuanian or Portuguese language
support; but the fact that it has it widens the pool of people who can
work in comfort on more, even if they do exercise the courtesy to us to
post here in English.

Nevertheless, and no reflection on anybody, there are still four things I
want soonest; I feel naked without : Opera, Firefox, Galeon, and above all
Pine. Can I just command "yum install pine," and similarly? If not, are
there repo problems? Anyone got any recommendations for or against
particular sources of any of those things? I'd rather use rpm than
tarballs, and a lot rather use yum than either ...

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!