OpenOffice Menu Font size - X application Menu Font Size

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Sun Dec 12 23:46:26 MST 2004

I guess I am the only one to ever experience this problem, as I have not
seen it come to these lists and was told to go to the OO website to
research the problem when I did.

I have a G3 B&W 350Mhz, 648Mb RAM, RAGE video, and 20GB hard drive. None
of that really matters. The issue that I saw was that when I started
Open Office, the menu fonts were so HUGE, that I couldn't see anything
on the page. I couldn't type anything in, I couldn't select any menu
items. I couldn't even EXIT, except for clicking the X to kill the window.

I figured it must be an installation problem, so I downloaded 1.1.2 and
started the install (No yum update available). I couldn't run the
installer because? I couldn't see any menus on the screen, or even pick
the accept button on the license agreement.

So... I searched through OpenOffice.org. I went to the mail lists and
found that there might have been an answer, back in October of 2003,
which actually referred to an incident in April, which seemed to maybe
relate to RedHat version 9 and probably 8, too. More investigation
revealed that setting the screen resolution in X86Config was the thing
that was hosing OpenOffice.

What a ridiculous suggestion! Obviously, these people were just trying
to throw me off. If the video configuration was wrong, NOTHING would
work. Still, when someone tells you the solution, you have to try it.
According to the story I dug up during an hour of googling, the
calculated resolution of the screen that is obtained when you enter the
size of the screen and make it do the math is wrong, IF you use inches.
Switch to mm, and it works. My screen is 16 x 12 inches. According to
the calculations, I have a 2032 DPI screen. Changing to 406 x 304 yields
80 DPI.

It's fixed.

Anybody else ever see that? Anybody else going to try the solution?

Now the stupid question. When YUM didn't install the application, how do
you get it started?

Olaf