YDL4.0 ==> YDL-3.01 portability issues

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Mon Dec 13 11:31:58 MST 2004

Brian,

Thanks for responding.

Threading model, eh??? Your suggestion makes sense. The complaint was
about a missing function. Looks like "we" now have to be careful when
using applications built under different YDL revs. Hmmm... I guess I
would have liked to have seen that message delivered in big red letters
from Terrasoft.  Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention.

I am still perplexed  over the installed versions of the kernel header
files and wonder if that could also be an issue.

If you check

	/usr/include/linux/version.h

you will find the kernel header files [linux, asm, asm-ppc, asm-ppc64]
installed under /usr/include are from linux-2.4.20, not linux-2.6.x.

Is this a "feature" or a "bug"?

I discovered the version skew issue when I attempted to rebuild Mac On
Linux. Having updated the kernel to 2.6.9 I updated the header files.
The sheep driver for MOL will not build using the 2.6.x headers. There
has been a change in the definition of the structure sk_buff as can be
seen from examining skbuff.h.

-Joseph

--
Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco at comcast.net>